‹ Go back to overview
Pharmaceutical Sector Implementation Strategy 2014 -2020 HSPS IV Tanzania Mainland
Field of Expertise:
Medical Products, Technologies; PSCM, financing and cost/pricing; Procurement and Supply Chain Assessments & Strengthening; Medical Products, Technologies; PSCM, financing and cost/pricing; Medical Stores
Narrative description of project:
The purpose of the mission was to support the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), through the Pharmaceutical Services Section (PSS) to develop a costed Pharmaceutical Sector Implementation Strategy 2014-2020 for the sector, building on the Mid-Term Review of the Health Sector Strategic Plan (HSSP) III 2009-2015. Specific objectives included:
- To align and harmonise the MOHSW work plans for the Pharmaceutical Services Section (PSS) and vertical programmes (VPs) with those of pharmaceutical agencies, PMO-RALG and development partners / implementation partners towards the implementation priorities of HSSP III under pharmaceuticals services, inclusive of the common vision for supply chain reforms;
- To refine the PSS structure and functions to support and coordinate the aligned work plans for health programs and agencies contributing to pharmaceutical services
- To identify PSS key operations for SOP development; and human resource capacities (or gaps) within PSS for capacity development plan.
- To strengthen the link with diverse stakeholders contributing to pharmaceutical service provision and pharmaceutical care / benefits, including health training institutes, professional councils, pharmaceutical manufactures, private sector providers, the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF), social marketing agencies, civil society organizations and non-governmental organizations
- To incorporate in the strategy the inputs and contributions made for the development of HSSP IV that will strengthen the health system building block on medicines and health technologies based on consensus priorities, sustainable strategies, with realistic expectations and measurable results.